MA Design and Computation (TU/UdK)
Max. 8 Studierende
Strasse des 17. Juni 118
Prof. Dr. Berit Greinke
WiMi Giorgia Petri
This seminar provides an introduction to electronic textiles and data processing, using Arduino IDE and visual programming software Pure Data.
Sessions on conductive materials, textile sensors, recording and mapping sensor data, and sound/video control with electronic textiles will provide you with a basis to investigate these technologies within your own creative practice. Our approach will be hands-on, exploring aesthetics and function through materials and crafting.
The seminar is aimed at fashion design students who are interested and have experience in textile techniques (e.g. weaving, knitting, screen-printing, embroidery, or similar), while being curious about creative digital technology and art/tech interdisciplinary inquiry. MA ‘Design & Computation’ students with an interest in electronic textiles are also invited to join. Cross-disciplinary collaborations are possible and encouraged.
No previous knowledge in electronics and programming required, but commitment and self-motivated learning is crucial.
The first two days combine lectures and practical exercises. On days 3-5, students work independently on a self-initiated project, either in conjunction with their semester project or as an independent study. Students are expected to produce samples and prototypes, and an on-going documentation in the form of technical and design notes, sketches, materials samples and documented circuitry and codes. During these sessions we offer 1-2-1 tutorials and technical support.
Language: English, German
Attendance is mandatory.
Dates and location:
- 11 Jan 2021, 17:30: preliminary meeting (online/Webex)
- 25 – 29 Jan 2021, 9:30 – 17:30: block seminar (Aula, Strasse des 17. Juni 118)
- The outcomes will be presented as part of the Design Master presentations on 24 February (Aula)
Costs & other information:
- 20€ for electronics starter kit (45€ if you want to keep the Arduino)
- A starter pack of conductive textiles will be provided. Additionally required materials will need to be purchased by students.
- Students work on their own laptops.
For registration (first-come-first-serve) please fill this form:
(log in with O.A.Se details and enrol before access is provided)