„Glas“: Oscar winning film by Bert Haanstra (NL) 1958
Designproject, 4/6. Semester BA
Max 7 students also open for MA ‚Anpassungsstudium‘ (for Berlin Glass visit 5 extra students can join)
KM / assistant: Maciej Chmara
• Berlin Glas
• London: studio Jochen Holz + gallery & glass visits and meetings, a.o: V&A Glass Galleries & Vessel
• workshop week in Meisenthal
• Czech Republik: Nový Bor (glasstudio’s) and Prague (Designblok 18 + UPRUM glass studio)
Anna Koppmann, Ayosha Kortlang, Daniel Tratter, Julian Preindl, Martin Fenske, Merlin Everding, Yannik Rohloff
During this semester we will discover and celebrate glass in all its aspects: from glassblowing and lampworking to disforming glass.
The project will start with some material introducties and visits. Based on these discoveries you will design and make glass objects that celebrate: that evoke happines, that jubilate, that commemorate special moments, honor peculiar uses, specific functions, or just revel the experiment.
Along the way we will meet up and exchange with students and professors of HBK Saarbrücken and Prague for talks and workshops and present the results of our the communal workshop at Designblok 2018 in Prague to celebrate Designblok’s 20th anniversary.
PART 1 prologue (23 April – 1 May)
• 24 April 10.00: Berlin Glas workshop intro glassblowing
• 30 April-1 May: excursion to London including:
– workshop lampworking (borosilicate) at Studio Jochen Holz
– gallery & glass visits and meetings (Riya Patel, curator at Aram Gallery / Reino Liefkens, head curator of glass & ceramics V&A Museum / Angel Monzoon, director of Vessel Gallery)
PART 2 pre-Meisenthal (2 May – 1 June)
• preparing for workshop with HBK Saar
• tutorials with Mathias Hahn
• 28 May -1 June: joint workshop at Meisenthal (France) with students from Saarbrücken & prof. Mark Braun
PART 3 post-Meisenthal (4 June – 22 July)
• elaborations on Meisenthal projects
• experimenting with other glas techniques with Mathias Hahn
• 12 June: talk Mathias Hahn in Design Transfer
• 17-22 July: presentation of projects at Design Transfer Berlin
PART 4 epilogue (24 – 29 October)
• trip to Prague including:
– visit to Czech glass workshops (Nový Bor)
– presentation of Meisenthal projects at Designblok 18
– visit to Glassstudio at UPRUM/AAAD (Academy of Arts Architecture & Design) and meet & greet with prof. Rony Plesl and his students.