Design project, 5+. Semester BA
17 Okt. 2017 – 14 Febr 2018
Prof. Ineke Hans
• Herman August Weizenegger(HAW)
about: Manufacturers, digital design and organizing design weeks.
• Julia Läufer (Läufer & Keichel)
about: design furniture for workspaces and a case study
• Scarlett San Martin (opendesk)
about: the backgrounds and setup of Opendesk, open Manufacturing and CNC production and the links and opportunities with local manufacturing.
• Dutch Design Week in Eindhoven
+ Studio Ineke Hans Arnhem
• Visit to chopchopcnc Berlin, workshop for open source platform Opendesk
Fabian Haarbeck/Sascha Huth
Nadia Sarges Rezaei
Wir stellen uns vor /we imagine: The Netherlands <-> Berlin
In this first project of Ineke Hans at UdK Berlin we get acquainted with each other and the 3rd and 5th semesters get engaged in local-global / digital-analogue production in two different projects.
However, in the first semesterweek we will visit the Dutch Design Week in Eindhoven together and meet up with presenting designers and productlabels and see the graduation show of Design Academy Eindhoven. We will visit the Dutch Design Awards exhibition and some design studio’s and hear and see new or Dutch visions on design.
We finish with a visit to Ineke’s studio in Arnhem where she will speak about the way she works. After that it turns around and the students imagine how we can work together in Berlin:
-> imagine how we can work and study together in Berlin in the coming years
-> imagine what is needed for that in our workrooms 202 and 203
-> present a project that could work for this
5TH SEMESTER PROJECT:
• local: Workspace and Workshop (workspace and workshop)
-> which small workshops there are in Berlin (wood, metal, glass, ceramics, plastics, food, brushes, electronica, light, stone) that you can steadily work with for small productions (eg if you no longer study at the UdK)?
-> which means of production do they have (tools, machines, expertise) do they have and what can you do with that?
-> design a small product or piece of furniture that is interesting for our workspaces at Strasse des 17. Juni that can be produced in a Berlin workshop
-> if possible, appropriate and selected the product can be realized during the lecture-free time (spring 2018)
• global: Werkstätte und Städte (workshop and shopping)
-> design your project in such a way that it can be produced and sold via similar workshops in other cities.
-> find some of these similar workshops (Deutschland/Europa) with similar Tools and machines to set up a global label that allows local sales and production.
– exercise in product development and cooperating with external workshops
– experience with preparation of production
– design for a reality (place, context, price, feasibility)
Desired for completion
– 1:1 prototype
– documentation of the project and how is it made (concept / text / photo’s / film)
– drawings for reproduction
– price in case of production